FAILED for eth0

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 16:10:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 16:15 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> > > When I turn off my computer, I get an OK for everything, except for
> > > eth0. Is there some way of automatically reconfiguring that device?
> >
> > Your query is a bit vague,
> > but the entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> > has to be correct.
> > The various network wizards should hopefully do this.
>
> Thanks, Timothy. I agree that my query is vague, but I do not know how
> to make it more detailed. Maybe someone could tell me what I should
> add to describe better my problem. However, I suspect from what I see
> at shutdown time that the problem is related with HWADDR. The content
> of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is quoted below:
>
> # more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> # Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> HWADDR=00:30:4F:2B:8C:84
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> IPADDR=192.168.1.2
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
> #
>
> I would like to add that my Ethernet card was changed together with
> the processor upgrade.

I'm surprised that it comes up at all.  I frequently do image copies
of drives and move parts around and run into this all the time.  To
make things easier, I normally remove the HWADDR line from the
ifcfg-eth? files because all they do is cause trouble. Likewise I
generally chance all the LABEL filesystem references to partition
device names in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf since the labels may
not exist if you use backup/restore techniques and the box won't
boot if you happen to put 2 drives that had the same labels from
earlier uses in the same system and you use labels to mount them.

I suppose there might be situations where the HWADDR and labels are
helpful to someone but it seems fairly unlikely to me.  Maybe if
you have a dhcp server running on eth0 and pull your eth0 nic it
is helpful not to let the interface that used to be eth1 pick up
the old eth0 ip address and dhcp service.

I also usually remove the stuff under
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default because they seem to
override the settings where you expect them - at least sometimes...
Is the use of those files documented somewhere?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com