SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 16:21:26 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, W Strater <wstrater at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just installed FC5 on a Pentium 4 based machine and ended up with a
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp kernel. I ran `yum update` and was upgraded to
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp. The problem is that my motherboard, Intel D865PERL, is
> a single CPU motherboard and my Intel CPU P4 2.8 pre-dates any dual core
> technologies. The /proc/cpuinfo did list two CPU's.

Look in /etc/sysconfig/kernel and you will see where it specifies your
default kernel type.  In single processor systems here, we've had some
random lockups that traced back to the use of SMP and so we don't use
the SMP kernels.  These problems happened back in the Fedora 3 days,
can't say now if it is a big issue.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science