Fedora Core 5 Issues

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Fri Aug 18 02:37:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 19:07 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> I don't have any basis for my suspicion
> except that the behaviours on my box of knocking two HDDs to death from
> different manufacturers and the fact it was fine for a good long while
> beforehand.  And I guess I know there is libata and kernelside work to
> do with ATA in kernels around that time.  But it can as easily, well,
> more easily, be a powersupply problem in my case.

One other thing that just occurred to me: some years back, when I was
installing my first Quantum SCSI HDD into a Taiwan-made industrial CPU
chassis, I found that the vibration of the hard disk was quite
considerable. I eventually put it in an external casing and attached it
to the external SCSI interface because I did not want the vibration to
create bad sectors on another drive inside the chassis, or cause the
CDROM drive to wobble too much.

Could vibration cause a hard disk to die early?

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur