new mplayer builds eliminate need for win32 codecs?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Aug 18 05:26:54 UTC 2006

On Friday August 18 2006 1:03 am, Jeff Vian wrote:
> The correction at the bottom of that article says it all.  The support
> will be in the proprietary realplayer, not open sourced.

I tried to follow this up this morning by installing that mplayer version on
my PCLinuxOS box which I have in my shop at the office. Unfortunately, it
didn't show up in the updates list when I ran Synaptic. They generally
release new packages to their 'premium' server first, which you can gain
access to with any donation over $25 to their project - I'm actually a small
contributor and have access, but I may not have entered the data for that
repo in my configuration on that particular box - didn't have time to check
it out. When I do get that version installed, I'll report results back here.
One mail-list subscriber did post this morning that he'd installed the new
package and that "it worked" - but no details...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA