Anomaly encountered installing FC5

david c cooke dcooke at efn.org
Mon Aug 21 21:02:23 UTC 2006

While attempting a GUI installation of Fedora 5 from a DVD(2.6 series of
the Linux Kernel), the screen displayed something like you would see as
snow, like watching gamma radiation as seen from a televison set tuned to
no particular channel, however the pixels are fixed and with color and
other horizontal lines of garbage.

The garbage screen occurs just into the installation. I tried various
options; safe mode resulted in the same outcome. The install went to
completion in text mode but after GRUB boot prompt the system dropped to a
command line [localhost login]. Only a password was asked for at the
beginning.

I am running a new system, new hardware; SATA drive, 800FSB, 1GB RAM,
mother board is d945gnt

messages include:
ext2-fs: unable to read superblock
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev-md1, iso_blknum=16, block=32
kernel panic-not syncing: VFS:unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(9,1)

[<c011978e>] panic+03x3e/0x16c
[<0101005>] kernel_thread_helper+x5/0x6

Other messages that appear at reboot;
error: cups config daemon

No volume control elements and/or devices found
and
Cannot allocate resource region 3 of device 0000:00:00:0

Some of the same conditions persisted when I later installed an older
verion of FC4. Both DVD media test okay and have been used installing on
other machines.

Any ideas and suggestions are of course greatly appreciated-
David C
dcooke at efn dot org