caching-namserver

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Aug 22 07:57:58 UTC 2006

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> *Ethereal might work but set-up is beyond me!  I'll have to look at that
> for a while.  But "locate" found "tetehereal" which showed DNS activity
> clearly on the first lookup and nothing on subsequent tries which I
> interpret as an indication that it is working.  The times measured with "host" are
> still varying widely from as little as ~10 ms to typically a bit more than 100 ms?

Could be a function of how busy your system and/or CPU size, memory, etc.

> And the need to rewrite "resolv.conf" after reboot is bothersome as is the
> loss of the cached address data when that is done although I suspect
> that may be done to accommodate address changes?

Well, you can prevent "resolv.conf" from being overwritten.  You uncheck
the "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" selection in
the configuration of your Internet connection.

You will lose the cache on a reboot since that information is contained
in memory.

Also, if you don't access a given site again within the time specified
by the TTL (Time To Live) setting of the master DNS the cache for the
host will be cleared and a new request will be sent.

Ed

--
 Calculon: I've seen plagues that had better opening nights than this.