How to restart alsa?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Aug 22 13:49:00 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Strange.  Okay, have you queried rpm to see if it's installed?  What's
>> the output of rpm -qa | grep alsa say?
>>
>> I don't remember exactly how FC handles it, but is alsa a kernel module
>> or built into the kernel on your system?
>
> # rpm -qa | grep alsa
> alsa-utils-1.0.11-4.rc2
> java-1.5.0-sun-alsa-1.5.0.06-1jpp
> alsa-lib-1.0.11-4.rc2
> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.11-4.rc2
> #
>
> Regarding your second question, I do not really know how to answer them.
>
> Paul

Run an 'lsmod' and see if alsa is listed (or anything with 'snd' in the
used by column).  I'm nowhere near an FC5 box with sound, as my laptop
is Gentoo and all my FC boxes are servers, so I'm not sure what I should
be seeing on that front.  I doubt seriously that FC's implementation of
also would be THAT different from any other distro.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator