Problems Installing FC5

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sat Aug 26 05:25:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:42 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
> > I did try last night to do the install in text mode. The install gets
> > past the grub update and starts installing packages but eventually fails
> > (early on) saying a package is corrupted. This happened with both DVDs
> > and I believe both FC5 DVDs were made on the same burner. (This also
> > happened with one of the DVDs and the other identical system a few
> > months ago when I first tried to upgrade to FC5.)
>
> You could try installing from hard disk if you have enough space -
> copy the ISO images to the hard disk,
> disassemble the first with "mount -o loop FC*disc1.iso /mnt"
> then "cp -a /mnt/isolinux /boot"
> add a stanza to /etc/grub.conf like
> -----------------------------------
> title FC-5 boot
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz
>         initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
> -----------------------------------
> and re-boot.
> [I've probably missed something out ...]
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Thanks. I'm going to have to do something like this. I burned two new
DVDs on another Linux computer and the install always fails at some
point when installing packages. I had replaced the cdrom/burner/dvd with
a dvd burner after installing FC4. Now I can't even re-install FC4 - it
fails in a similar manner as FC5. (The system is unbootable. At this
point I can't install FC4 or 5. I can run a Suse Live disk I have.) So I
think the main culprit is the DVD burner. I think I have the following
install over my network (but I've never done this), 3) try to copy the
iso to the hard drive - but the system is in an unbootable state so I
don't know if this is now possible - but maybe I could do this using the
Suse Live disk - I get a network connection, and 4) create bootable CDs
instead of one DVD and see if the drive still fails.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick B.