Find every instance of hostname

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 19:01:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 19:45, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Hi Anne.

Hi, Dean.  Good to see you finally made it! ;-)

> Craig gave you the right places to look, but to answer your original
> question ...
>
> This will find all ext3 files on your system and search them
> for your hostname and print out the file names that contain it.
>
> As root:
>
> # find / -type f -fstype ext3 -exec fgrep -l "hostname" {} \;
>
> It will take some time.

Time, I don't mind.  I suspect, though, that the 12,000 or so emails would
also be included.

> You can play various games with find's commandline args to exclude
> certain directories, do conditional searches, limit the search to a
> particular filesystem, &c.
>
> Worth spending the time studying its man page. One of the most useful
> commands in unix-dom.

I've only ever used it in a simple form.  Maybe I should spend more time on
the man page, thanks.

> Don't use your fully qualified hostname unless your system name is
> some really common or short name.  Sometimes it appears in system
> files unqualified.

The hostname is both common and short. so it probably has to be the FQDN.  I
take your point, though, about the possibility of missing a short-name entry
somewhere.

The really big problem, of course, is the difficulty in trying to prove
something does NOT exist.  All I can do is try to find likely files on this
working setup in the hope that I can match them to ones on the offending one.

Anne