Bringing Up Wireless Connections Automatically => fixdev1804289383

Robert L. Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 27 21:25:24 UTC 2006

> to fix dev1804289383
>
> - rm -rf /etc/sysconfig/hwconf  (or mv ...)
> - rm -rf /etc/modprobe.conf (...)
>
> - kudzu
> => will generate a new hwconf && modprobe.conf
>
> hint from alan cox some weeks/month ago here in the list(s)

This worked nicely. And now I'm using NetworkManager to get my wireless
connection started, but I'm still faced with 2 problems:

1. NetworkManager doesn't set the hostname based on the dhcp information it
gets back. My machine continues to be named 'localhost.localdomain'. If I am
surfing my home wireless network, I want the hostname set to something
different. Otherwise localhost.localdomain is okay.

(NetworkManager seems to start as almost the last service in runlevel 5.)

2. The bitrate I'm getting is still only 11 Mbps and I know this is a 54
Mbps capable card.

Any suggested fixes?

Bob