FC5 system crashes at random when using mouse

Thad Nielsen paroikos at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 28 15:07:17 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson [pauljohn32 at gmail.com] wrote:
> On a Dell Optiplex 270 running FC5, a very strange thing has started
> to happen.  The machine runs fine and allows ssh logins and I've
> worked on it for hours remotely.  It can remotely display jpeg files,
> do anything I ask.
>
> However, about once per day, the system crashes when people sit in
> front of it and use the mouse & keyboard.  I've only seen the crash
> with my own eyes once, but my wife & kids have described it many
> times.  The monitor simply loses the signal from the computer, and the
> computer stops responding to all outside contact. I can't ssh into it
> anymore.  It is a little confusing because the computer still appears
> to be powered up--the lighted power button on the front is still on.
> In order to get it to restart, it is necessary to push the button for
> a long time as the computer powers down.  After the restart, there's
> no trace of trouble. Nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
> What do you think is wrong?  How to find out?
>
> You might suspect bad RAM if the only symptom were the crash. However,
> the system stays running forever if you use it via ssh.

There should be a set of four diagnostic lights on the back of that
machine: what are the colors of those lights when the system hangs?
Also, have you checked all connections including the power cord?  Do
the users power-on something else in the room when they use the
machine (perhaps causing a power surge)?  Alternately, do you have any
diagnostic disks for that model from DELL?

	T.