Installing FC-5 with LVM

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 17:07:07 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I don't mind the installation suggesting a partitioning scheme,
>> but I think it ought to allow users to decide for themselves.
>

> It does.  There was a screen that asked if you wanted the installer to
> partition the disk (deleting all partitions or all Linux partitions) or
> if you wanted to do so manually.  If you pick manual partitioning,
> you'll see a tool that shows the current partition structure and allows
> you to modify it and assign partitions and LVs to filesystems.

That control is less obvious in FC5 than in the install for previous
versions. The same is true with the control for custom selection of
software. I nearly missed the one for disk partitioning and did miss the
one for software selection my first time through the installer. I think
I like the old style better but this style may be less intimidating or
confusing to newbies. You do have to pay closer attention.

Andrew Robinson