Advice on fc6-test2-dvd-x86_64

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Aug 28 18:42:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> On account of continue problem on FC5_64 I'm prepared erasing it.
>
> Have you tried "fc6-test2-dvd-x86_64". Any comment? I'm prepared to
> test it instead of reinstalling FC5_64. Advice would be appreciated.

I have not had any major problems with FC5 on X86_64.  (I have two AMD64
systems and they run very well.)

If you are having problems on FC5, do NOT go to FC6t2.  You will be very
unhappy.

Currently I am seeing the following with FC6t2 on my laptop.

- xorg.conf does not get set up correctly.  It is missing almost all of
the extensions and options. It does not have the correct resolution.  The
control panel does not allow me to change the monitor type.  (Does not
even start the dialog from the display app.) It also starts up in 16 bit
color and transparencies do not work.  (Like the Fedora logo at the start
of Gnome.)

- yum update does not allow me to update all of what I need due to missing
libraries needed by evolution and other apps.  (Which makes it difficult
to update Gnome, due to dependancies.)

- The xen kernel gives me all sorts of frequency scaling errors with
powernow-k8.  (Lots of illegal values and the frequency says locked in
place at whereever it was at last.)

- The Xen kernel-devel has/had a mucked up kernel build directory.  Broke
building of any additional kernel modules.  (I tried with MadWifi and the
latest nVIDIA driver.  Neither worked with the xen kernel.)

- The nVIDIA closed source driver builds and gives a correct resolution,
but none of the window decorations function.

I am sure there are more.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink