[Fedora] Re: Non-SMP on SMP hardware

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Aug 29 17:07:55 UTC 2006

Hendrik Strydom wrote:
> You may have success by adding
> isolcpus=1
> to the kernel command line, which should limit your system to using
> CPU#0.

    That didn't work.  It gets stuck at the same exact line of output
every time:

    CPU 1 irqstacks, hard=c0422000, soft=0402000

    Now, please keep in mind that I'm not 100% certain whether it is
actually trying to access a second CPU or not.  All I'm seeing is that
it finds CPU0 and displays what the kernel normally does then it quits
on that line.  When I look for that same line on any of my single CPU
machines, it's always 'CPU 0 irqstacks...'  On this trouble machine it
says 'CPU 1 irqstacks...'  That's what makes me think it's trying to
boot a second CPU which isn't present in the machine.

> Alternatively you could boot from floppy, chroot to the installed root
> and manually add a non-smp kernel from the NFS mounted source with rpm
> -i.

    How would you suggest I go about doing that?  The floppies that I
have are for installing the OS and will start the installer if I boot
off of them.  Is there another floppy image that gives me the ability to
get on the machine, configure one of the ethernet cards to where I can
pull the kernel from the NFS onto the machine (through rpm)?

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.