What is the language "British"?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 30 03:03:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 19:51, jdow wrote:
>From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
>
>> Tim:
>>
>> Gene Heskett:
>>> Humm, if it results in less miss-understandings between the peoples by
>>> pushing the people toward a common ground for language usage, I can't
>>> see as its an undesirable effect.
>>
>> Okay, let's see the yanks fall in line with origins of their language,
>> rather than subverting someone else's...  ;-)
>
>Are you sure? Do remember that there was a pocket of hillbillies
>discovered who were speaking almost pure Elisabethan English. It
>may be that WE are purer English than the British just like the
>Quebecois are using purer old French than the French.
>
>> For what it's worth, Australian English is distinctly different than
>> other countries.  You do need to regionalise such things.  Trying to
>> tell another country to spell things in a foreign way is insulting.
>> We'll inventitate our own languages, thank you very much...
>
>Is "inventitate" real Aussie? That's as awful sounding as some of
>the uglier neologisms here in the States.
>
>While we're on words, it is to be noted that Pluto, the planet,
>has been downgraded. There is a growing body of dissent over
>this action by the IAU. It is thought all the planets should be
>renamed in protest using Disney characters. Henceforth the Earth
>is to be called by its new proper name, Goofy.
>
>{O,o}   <wanders off muttering about the "Green Hills of Goofy">

They should have left well enough alone, poor Clyde could be wrapped in
copper and hooked up to alleviate our energy shortage with nothing more
than his rpms in the grave.  And yes, I plagerized and modified that, but
forgot where I saw it now.  Sorry.

As for renameing the earth Goofy, somehow that fits...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)