What is the language "British"?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 30 04:44:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 23:05 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> That should have been part of the language they got in the 5th grade
> IIRC.

That sort of problem was one we continuously encountered at high school.
Something should have been taught years ago, by someone else, and nobody
will make any attempt to teach it later on, even if they find out you
weren't taught it.

It can be quite distressing for some students to find out that they've
been shortchanged, and there's no remedy.  e.g. English at high school
was generally useless writing of book reviews, etc.  No actual teaching
of using the language.  What they taught was useless to the great
majority of the population (how many do that as a job?), and if you had
any problems with understanding the language, well tough.  You weren't
going to be taught how to understand or write the language, there.

I stopped working in schools years ago, and I have no real desire to be
a part of the current system.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.