Seven Percent

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 19:27:03 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> Andy Green wrote:
> > Ubuntu:
> Yeah it's fine.  I simply do not like the GNOME interface.  Not anymore
> at any rate.
> >
> > After this, we come to what I think of as the first surprise in our
> > survey. Gentoo took fourth place with a total of 9.6 percent. Gentoo,
> > to me, is a Linux expert's Linux. I know many serious Linux users who
> > work with Gentoo to better understand Linux, but almost no one who
> > uses it as their first choice for day-to-day work.
> I love Gentoo.  It used to be the 'expert's linux', but I don't see that
> as the case now.  The new installer is is pretty good and they do not
> advocate a stage 1 install anymore either as it doesn't give the
> performance boost compared to the work involved.  That said, my kids
> laptop's and my Mom's desktop all run Gentoo and they can handle their
> systems just fine. My youngest is 7, BTW, and she can emerge packages
> pretty well.  I personally find having the packages installed in their
> default locations (at least according to the manual), makes life easier
> on me.  Plus I've found the performance boost of not having packages
> compiled for every possibility (within reason) to be worth the time of
> compiling.
> >
> > In fifth place, we find Fedora, Red Hat's community distribution.
> > Fedora, while still somewhat popular with 7 percent of the vote, seems
> > to have lost some of its charm to users in the last year.
> > ...''
> I don't see that it's lost it's charm, IMHO.  I have 13 other servers at
> home running FC3/4/5 and all my systems here at work (barring my laptop)
> are all FC other than my SGI systems.  I much prefer FC over Debian
> across the board.  Debian package management has always been a PITA,
> whereas yum and RPM's 'just work'.  However, I do see two weaknesses in
> FC.  A lack of a LiveCD ( I use these more and more to promote linux use
> in my family) and the fact that it's 5 CD's or a DVD to install.  Sure
> Ubuntu has a DVD version, but a good standard install is still only one
> CD the rest you can apt-get.  I've never managed to get a good base
> install from one FC CD.  The fact I need to insert CD 3 for one package
> is a pet peeve of mine, but one I can live with as long as I have
> broadband where I can ftp install from a mirror.
>
> All that being said.  FC is still the best linux version for general
> desktop use for people who want the 'latest and greatest'.  Ubuntu is
> always slightly behind on that for stability's sake.
>
> Just my $0.02

Interesting to see this now. I've recently tried out Ubuntu, and liked it
well enough to put it on another machine. The three of the other six
machines are FC. . I just upgraded two from FC 1 to FC 5, and lost sound on
both, and I have no time now to mess around with it -- after all, FC 6 is
breathing down the neck of what I've got.

Anyway, I'm on the fence. As I get used to the where Ubuntu puts things, I
may continue switching. I may even drop the Red Hat subscription.  It's an
expensive proposition that amounts to getting emails about updates rather
than having to remember to run yum every week. It's nice to have them keep
upgrading stuff, but the software still goes out of date -- what verson of
java? what version of python?

As far as FC, I know all that Red Hat says about the bleeding edge, but I
have to work at some other things besides upgrades. Tonight I'm going to
watch a movie. I'm not going to fix sound on an old Micron.

FC changes too fast, and RH costs too much.

There's my 2 cnts, too.