file-copy corruption

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Thu Jun 29 13:44:05 UTC 2006

I've found NFS access in Linux on gigabit slow.

Under gigabit:
With NFS, 10-30MB/s varying rates using NFS3 and different R/W sizes.
With FTP, consistent 40-60MB/s.

Back in the day when I used 100mbps, NFS was great, it hit 11-12MB/s and
stayed there, sustained.  With gigabit, this is no longer the case, at
least for me, I see bursts of 50MB/s and then 0, then two seconds later,
50MB/s, overall, it is MUCH slower than FTP (or even probably rsync/ssh).

Justin.