Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 1 03:33:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 13:57 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Oddly enough, I've always found it to be a plus and when I get on a
> windows box it drives me nuts that I have to actually do something
> other than select the text to get it to the clipboard.  I use X's
> highlight select for text all the time.

I find the Linux way of doing it a right pain in the bum.  Two typical
scenarios:

First
-----
Linux:  I have some document with a word I'd like to replace.  I *have*
to delete the word, find and highlight its new replacement, paste it
into the document.

Windows:  Highlight the word to be replaced, and paste the new word over
the top of it.  I can do this multiple times, just with new pastes.  I
don't have to delete + copy + paste ad nauseum.  And, no, sometimes
doing a search and replace through an editor function isn't always
doable.  What I put in the copy buffer stays there until I want rid of
it.

Second:
Linux:  I've highlighted some details from an e-mail that I want to put
into the email configuration.  I open up the configuration, and the
first editable data in it is already highlighted by the application.
It's now in the copy buffer, and I can't paste what *I* had previously
copied.  I can't go back to the other window and copy again, because
operations with it are blocked.  I can't even see the other window,
because two other windows are on top of it, and only one of them can be
moved.  I have to close one window, move the middle one, re-open the one
I want to edit.

This is a HELL of a lot of mucking around.

I read messages from the public lists.