Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 05:31:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 00:10, jdow wrote:

> > Yeah, you can do that in X, too.  Use the clipboard (ctrl+c or "copy"
> > menu item) instead of the primary selection.  If you behave like you're
> > using Windows, you'll get the results that you want.
>
> That works so little percentage of the time for me that it's worthless
> advice. Worse it seems to be utterly unpredictable when it will and
> will not work.

Can you list a few things where the right-mouse/copy paste
functions don't work predictably?

> X-Windows is one huge bug. I prefer consoles for Linux.

Real consoles are painful.  Xterms (gnome-terminals, etc.)
give you everything you can do in a console plus more
of them and cut/paste between them - even when some of
the windows are remote machines.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com