A simple question on copy/paste

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 18:12:35 UTC 2006

On 6/1/06, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Try it with some different files.  I suspect that you have
> > a bit-image of text encoded in postscript like tex/dvi
> > generates out of its own ugly fonts, not actual text.
>
> I got it.  .pdf files download on Internet their text can be
> highlighted and copy/paste.
>
> All documents on Internet printed as .ps files and/or later converted
> to .pdf have problem.  Disregarding they can be retrieve and read,
> their text can't be highlighted and copy/paste.  I don't know what
> mistake committed.  Any suggestion?

Ghostscript includes a program called ps2ascii that might have a
chance at some ps and pdf files where evince won't copy the text
but even that won't work on the ones that have been rendered to
images.  If you look through the raw ps file and see big chunks of
hex data it is probably an image.

---
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com