Initrd /dev scripts?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 1 19:58:02 UTC 2006

Clint Olson wrote:
> Hi!
>  Hey, I'm trying to get FC5 to work with coLinux
> (http://www.colinux.org).  I've got it so that it boots just fine --
> however, apparently FC5 creates its /dev device nodes at boot time, via
> a script run from initrd.  Since coLinux doesn't execute this initrd,
> most of the devices normally available in /dev simply aren't there when
> I boot via coLinux.  I'm trying to figure out how to extract the initrd
> so I can find the script and migrate it over to something that gets
> executed when coLinux boots.  Any pointers?
>
> Clint Olson

The /dev file system entries are created/managed by udev. There are
a few entries in the /dev directory so that the system can boot and
load the udev virtual file system, but because the /dev virtual file
system is mounted on top of /dev, it replaces everything that was
there. It is not part of the initrd. "man udev" will give you more
information about it.

You basically have 2 choices - ether implement udev in coLinux, or
create the devices you need in /dev under coLinux.

Mikkel