Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:53:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 17:54 +1000, Steffen Kluge wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 16:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> >  neither *do* all applications have right-click copy
> > and paste options, and neither does highlight and middle-click
> pasting
> > work in *all* applications.
>
> It is obviously up to the application developers to decide which key
> bindings they want to support in which context. It is up to the
> desktop
> style guides to define what should work. The Gnome apps I'm using
> behave
> as expected, and support both clipboards. In some cases, alternative
> keyboard shortcuts must be used (like SHIFT-^C), e.g. in a terminal
> window running a shell - for obvious reasons.

Well, there you go. With better standards that are recognized and
honored, a developer won't be in the position of power and authority to
'decide' which keybindings they use. It would be a standard, with no
deviations.

> >   You *have* to do combinations, some of
> > which have really annoying effects.
>
> What combinations? You use one or the other, even simultaneously, but
> not in combination (like gcalctool does). Keeping that in mind,
> copy&paste works very well on all my boxes, even across vmware, vnc or
> citrix sessions.

Obviously your experiece says one thing and Tim has experienced
something different. This is allowed and considered 'normal' in the
course of human events. :)

> As for the insults, I suppose I overreacted a bit, and apologise for
> that. I just had to vent some frustration that's been building up for
> while. I'm getting increasingly annoyed with a trend I'm seeing in
> this
> forum. Where are the times when people described their problems with
> adequate detail and asked for help?

"Failure of others to meet our expectations"

> Nowadays, throwing tantrums and
> stomping feet seems more fashionable. This being a very friendly forum
> people get away with that. In other places (such as misc at openbsd) they
> would have been larted so badly that they wouldn't dare asking another
> question for 6 months...

Well, Gee! That would take care of the problem! <smirk> Lot's of
aggression there, from a pack of (label removed) letter-bomb writers who
wouldn't dare make the confrontation up close and personal. There's no
'getting away with' anything here, according to my perspectives. We have
developers and we have users. All with varying degrees of savvy. Look at
jdow's stats... you think one of those openbsd folks are going to tangle
with her? Yet, she aired her complaint. Would you go as far as to say
that she was throwing a tantrum and stomping feet? I'd bet you wouldn't.
She's paid more dues than -anyone- on this list, and then some. Airing
problems is considered "properly assertive" and "compromise' is the
goal. So is "teamwork", which is hard as hell to arrive at when many
coder-heads lack empathy and social skills. Linus calls ithe experience
"herding cats".

> "Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare"? Give me a break!

And, as has been posted, it -is- a nightmare for some, including the
likes of jdow, Tim, myself and others. As I posted previously, it was a
nightmare in the hallowed halls of RedHat with the CRM system the entire
operation depended on... for customer support, development, sales /
marketing  and administration. The entire Research Triangle Park group,
here in North Carolina, was running a work-around, as I detailed, just
to cut & paste between CRM and other applications, with all of the
brainpower at their disposal. Please accept my perspective from my
experience. I was there in 1999-2000 and that was a large problem then.
Maybe Rahul will clarify if the problem is fixed in 2006. If not, then
wouldn't it be a good thing for people to air their complaints just a
little louder, to get heard? And, quite possibly, someone with the power
and authority to set a standard into stone, for all applications, will
set resolution to this problem into motion. That is a goal wished for by
many user members of the linux community, and reasonable assertive goals
are considered good, within a "polite society".  The antithesis of this
is naked aggression; no compromise, no teamwork, "my way or the
highway", objectification, and a pile of other "elements of criminal
behavior". From what I gathered from your post, the BSD crowd has
"Offenders" that abuse others. I got something for them. <cackles> Ric