Samba install problem

Freedom Web Services info at freedomwebservices.net
Sat Jun 3 17:42:50 UTC 2006

>> > A more general network problem may well be the first cause of your
>> > problems.

>> > It's much preferable to use yum these days.  There's no need to
>> > download the rpm or deal with dependencies manually.

>> > This looks like you have a more general networking problem on the
>> > system.  Have you tried to run 'yum update' yet?  I'm guessing you'll
>> > get a similar error about the core repo.  If so, you should check
>> > first that your network is working correctly.  If it is, then you'll
>> > need to look into the reason yum is not working.
>> >
>> > Once yum is working you should be able to run 'yum install samba' (or
>> > Add / Remove Software) to get it installed.
>>
>> My Linux machine is not yet connected to the internet!
>
> That's why 'Add / Remove software' and 'Software Updater' from the
> 'Applications' menu aren't working. They use yum as the backend and
> that's configured out of the box to get packages from the Internet.
>
> For a way of using yum and 'Add / Remove software' using the ISO images
> used to install the system instead of network repositories, see:
> http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages
>
>> I have a BT Voyager 100 ADSL USB modem and connect through AOL on my
>> windoze
>> box.
>> I have installed the drivers for this modem, eciadsl, and configured it
>> for
>> my modem and AOL but I can not get it to work.
>> I have looked on the net and found that I need a module called n_hdlc in
>> order to get this to work, the standard FC5 does not have this module.
>
> It's in the 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 kernel though. Try downloading and
> installing that update. Much easier than recompiling the kernel
> yourself.
>
> Paul.

Thanks for the help Paul.

I have downloaded and installed the 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 kernal update but
unfornatunatly this does not solve the problem.  The eciadsl-doctor program
still shows that the n_hdlc module is not found, it also reports that I am
using the 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 kernal, how can this be when I have just
installed the updated kernal with no problems?  Am I missing something?

Many Thanks,
Garry.