Kernel Differences Woes

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Mon Jun 5 04:02:23 UTC 2006

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> Rod Haper wrote:
>
>> when I boot the updated 2.6.16-1.2111_FC4 stock kernel it fails to
>> include some of the hardware devices
>
> <...>
>
>> what can I do to fix the problem?
>

> Don't upgrade the kernel.
>
> I know it might sound like a rather blase, but it's the best answer. If
> you find a kernel that works, why upgrade it?
>
> Fact is, later kernel releases often break code that worked in previous
> releases. Sad but true.

Keeping the 1369 kernel is indeed what I wound up doing.  That's okay
for FC4 but makes it harder to upgrade to FC5.  I'd prefer to do a clean
install of FC5 instead of an upgrade of FC4.  I'm not sure the 1369
kernel will work with all the FC5 apps and features but maybe worth a
try.  Might be a problem with some of the newer 3rd party drivers.

--
Rod