kde in extras - the devel discussion

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jun 6 13:26:22 UTC 2006

Mike Cohler wrote:
> I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
> push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
> for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
> to see KDE pushed out of the core.
>
> What do you think ?

Disclaimer: I am not a KDE user.

I think moving KDE to Extras is not a bad idea because:

1. Extras really should not be regarded as a "second class citizen" to
Core in the first place, and

2. It would be maintained in Extras by the same people that brought you
the kde-redhat project, so you'd probably get better-packaged, more up
to date releases than is currently possible in Core.

Paul.