kde in extras - the devel discussion

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 6 13:59:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 08:45 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:26 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >> 1. Extras really should not be regarded as a "second class citizen" to
> >> Core in the first place, and
>
> > I wouldn't be sure. Though I on one hand agree that RH's work on KDE has
> > not been a "proof of exellence", on the other hand, I think, a couple of
> > overly ambitious KDE hackers in Extras could be harmful.
> >
> >> 2. It would be maintained in Extras by the same people that brought you
> >> the kde-redhat project, so you'd probably get better-packaged, more up
> >> to date releases than is currently possible in Core.
> > C.f. my comment to 1) above.
>
> I'd hope such a large maintainership burden would be done by a team, which
> certainly would include rh's current kde maintainer.
IMO, it's only a matter of time until somebody will screw KDE and nobody
will feel responsible - Up to now we all had RH's KDE maintainer to
blame, but then we won't have him. Also, experience with community
maintained KDEs, so far, even on SuSE have not been compelling. I think
this simply is too complex and large to be coordinated by a "community
team".

> > 3. It would close out RH from a technology
>
> IMO, simply being in Extras != "close out RH from a technology"
1. RH != Fedora !!!
2. There are no FE CDs.
3. anaconda is meaningless rpm-wise.

> > 4. It would close out KDE apps from Core.
> True.
OK, when will Linus T. start to write his new kernel configuration GUI
in KDE? Which GUI will SuSE's new "proprietary module loader have".
When will yum have a usable Gtk/GNOME GUI?

Ralf