kde in extras - the devel discussion

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jun 7 15:38:31 UTC 2006

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> It's unfortunate that Core really hasn't opened up to becoming a
> community based project. A more general issue than just the KDE
> packages.

I don't think that's directly this issue, the issue is that KDE is being
ejected from the warm part of the nest and Gnome isn't.  There's no
legal reason AFAIK that KDE can't be looked after inside Redhat, Than
probably didn't cost THAT much for his time on KDE, given the swollen
RHAT coffers, therefore it seems simply a strategic corporate decision
to do it (and/or a putsch from the Gnomist Freedom Fighters).  If Fedora
Core is the technology feeder for RHEL, I guess this represents
additionally a weakening or complete loss of commitment to KDE for RHEL,
since they would surely keep its packaging inhouse for RHEL.  So it's a
big fat sign that RHAT regard KDE as on the margins and it's Gnome uber
Alles.  Last time there was such a signal, many months ago, I tried very
hard to use Gnome and after a month or so dumped it for KDE again.

Anyway I don't think there's too much to worry about.  The likely case
is that some of those 5 CDs we would be downloading as 'core' CDs might
now be marked up as containing the same packages from "extras",
including the CDs with KDE on them.  If Anaconda is hip to it, it will
probably not cause much pain.

-Andy