Lucifer Lives (AKA libecal-1.2.so.3)

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 7 18:28:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:10:32 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:51 -0400, Beartooth wrote:

>> I tried [root at localhost btth]# yum install gnome-panel --exclude=evolution\*
>> but it ended, yet again, with
>>
>> Resolving Dependencies
>> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>> ---> Package gnome-panel.i386 0:2.14.1-1.fc5.1 set to be updated
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 for package: gnome-panel
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 is needed by package gnome-panel
>> [root at localhost btth]#
>
> Interesting. I wonder which versions you have at the moment?
>
> $ rpm -q evolution-data-server gnome-panel

Thanks for the last line; I wasn't sure which versions of what you meant.

[root at localhost btth]# rpm -q evolution-data-server gnome-panel
evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
package gnome-panel is not installed
[root at localhost btth]#

>> And why does evolution get in on it, anyway? How did it ever even get
>> installed? gnome-panel must not have required it before
>
> gnomw-panel has had a dependency on the libraries provided by
> evolution-data-server since FC3 and probably long before that too.
>
>>  -- I've been
>> running it since who goosed the moose, and always refused to install
>> evolution, without any trouble.
>
> evolution != evolution-data-server

So x-y-z does not imply y subordinate to nor requiring x, nor similarly
with y & z??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User