How to disable MMX

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 8 09:52:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 20:19 +1200, kjcsb wrote:
> > kjcsb wrote:
> >> I wish to disable MMX on my FC4 system. How do I do that preferably
> >> without
> >> having to build the kernel from source? Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Erm -- what, why, and to what purpose?
> >
> Thanks for the reply. I am using Asterisk (open source PABX) and am
> experiencing audio break-ups. Posts on the Asterisk user group suggest
> disabling MMX and since I have tried everything else, I wondered how to do
> that.

That's the first time I have heard that. Are you sure they advised you
to disable MMX in your hardware? I'm asking because you can *enable* MMX
support in the asterisk Makefile but it is off by default. Did you
perhaps have MMX support enabled in the asterisk Makefile? If so then
try to disable it, recompile and test again.

Frequently audio breakups can be caused by interrupt sharing, crappy
motherboards and sheer voodoo. Check that your card has it's own
interrupt and is definitely not sharing it with other components. In
order to free up interrupts, disable as many things as possible in the
BIOS like the parallel port, serial ports, USB ports, floppy, unused IDE
ports etc. And if you have one of those clone X100P cards you're on your
own. In my experience they suck.

Regards,
Patrick