Question, about drive assignment when boot drive is sata

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 11 22:45:45 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

>> 1.  What are the errors?  You don't say.
>>
> "fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1."  As in can't find it at all.

OK...

>> 2.  Was the original drive a PATA and now you have a SATA?
>>
> This I do not know, but I'll find out in the next few hours.
>
>> 3.  Check the /boot/grub/device.map file for "(hd0)     /dev/sda".
>>
>> 4.  If the answer to 2 is "yes" did you create a new initrd file for the
>> running kernel?
>
> New FC5 install, from scratch.  I should also state that he is using the
> re-spun FC5 release, from the dvd's iso.

I'm not familiar with the technical term "re-spun FC5 release", could
you elaborate?

>> 5.  You've looked at your grub.conf and fstab and you "think" there is
>> no problem....but we've not had the opportunity to do the same.  You may
>> want to consider having folks here take a look-see.
>
> First, its not my box, and yes, we're not exactly newbies at grub.conf
> nuances.  If he could boot it, he could post those, but I'm not too sure
> I want to type all that as he reads it to me from 1000 miles away.

Even "oldbies" can stare at a file for hours and convince themselves
that there is nothing wrong.  I don't have enough fingers and toes to
count the number of times I've done that.

FWIW, if you have more than one computer at your disposal it can be a
boon to problem solving to have a "serial console" setup so there is no
need to retype anything.  I've had that now for 5+ years and tend to
assume everyone has that in their bag of tricks.  I know I shouldn't do
that....sorry.

> Since I had narrowed it down to the reboot after the install that was
> failing, I figured that this sort of a problem was a known problem, with
> a 'duh' type fix.  The box is his home networks server/gateway, and with
> it down, he'll have to reconfigure a bunch of cat5 to get a local hookup
> online.

Well, the only thing that happened to me one time was that I was
switching to a different RHEL level.  I don't recall the exact details
but I was having problems booting to the new OS.  I'd moved drives
around and had a mixture of PATA and SATA.  I failed to make a change to
the BIOS to tell the system the boot device was the SATA drives so it
read the old info off the PATA drives and fell flat on its face in some
manner.

--
"If you lived today as if it were your last, you'd buy up a box of
rockets and