yum just removed nvidia modules?!

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 10:24:03 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Anyway: The plugin doesn't remove the currently running kernel, which
> means in this case: there was no nvidia-kernel-module for the current
> kernel installed.

You're right!  I was running an older version of the kernel.  It looks
like the nvidia-kernel-module for my running kernel got removed at
some point... presumably everything will work fine until I try to
reboot (unless I reboot with the newer kernel that has the module).

I fixed the problem by manually installing the new kernel, then
yum updating.

Updating kernel modules using yum seems to work better with livna's new
kmod- naming approach, but it would be nice if yum could be configured
not to switch to newer kernels until all modules were updated as well.

Danny.