"your session lasted less than 10 seconds" error

JJ josh8912 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 15:15:15 UTC 2006

Hello:
Im rather new at Fedora and have a problem I cant
figure out.  I have a fairly new install of Fedora
Core 5 that was working great.  I was running a
program as root and it messed up a bit so I rebooted.
After rebooting I was not able to log on as root any
longer, but can log on using other accounts.  The
error message is:
"Your session lasted less than 10 seconds.  If you
have not logged out yourself, this could mean...."
The details explain that:
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC_COOKIE-1 key

I tried deleting my /root/.ICEauthority file but no
help.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled gdm but no
help.

I see that lots of people have this problem, but no
clear answers and without help I dont think I will be
able to solve mine.  Any help would be appreciated.

JJ