FC4 or FC5

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Mon Jun 12 18:22:06 UTC 2006

jdow wrote:
> It is for a large organization. It is not for me as a single person
> consultant. I either create new software and give it away or I create
> once and start supporting it on the phone for the rest of my life for
> pay until some other person creates competition for my software. If I
> write the software PROPERLY there is no need for support. Therefore I
> am out in the cold.
Competition is a good and healthy thing for the market. It forces the
software authors to, since they could all in this situation share code,
have better features or do it faster or have a nicer UI, etc.
Competition helps make the overall software market full of really nice
things. :)

> By the way, has anybody noticed how much a license for Qt costs if
> you want to get PAID for software you right? I might as well simply
> get an MSDN license and develop for XP. Ditto with respect to the
> RHEL costs. They cost MORE than XP in the long run.
Qt and RHEL are both Free/Open-source. You do not necessarily need to
pay any licensing fees to make money on either of them. (Though, for
RHEL, you do have to remove the trademarked artwork and stuff before
you can redistribute it, with or without charging a fee for that
copying.)

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail