udev timeout on boot

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Tue Jun 13 01:46:17 UTC 2006

Hi all,
   I have a new FC5 install with all updates applied.  Kernel
2.6.16-1.2133_FC5-smp-i686.  On boot, udev times out every time.
I have checked boot.log, dmesg, and messages for some mention of udev to
see what is happening to  no avail.

   Where would this information be written if not to one of the above
files?  What would make it time out?  This machine is a dual-core Athlon
with hardware Raid 1, one DVD writer and 2 Gb RAM.  nVidia card drives
dual NEC monitors.  This is nearly the same HW on a much older Athlon
that I used with FC4.

   Ideas?

TIA

Bob