FC4 or FC5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jun 13 07:08:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 22:50 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Ed Greshko" <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>

> > You want to develop software, then sell it to make money...but you
> > complain that you have to pay someone else for their time/effort to
> > write the tools (Qt) that you are going to use to make your money?
>
> I am complaining that it is outrageously expensive compared to the
> cost it is equivalent in Windows. But basicly I am declaring why it
> won't happen for the individual private developer.
----
Qt is but one of many different development environments for Linux.

Of course you have neglected to note that the c/c++ etc. compilers are
all free on Linux whereas compilers on Windows, you have to purchase
them.
----

> > That is what you are paying for...not the software bits.  You can't
> > download the RHEL binaries....but you can download the SRPMS and you are
> > very free/welcome to recompile them ala CentOS.  Red Hat is fulfilling
> > their responsibility as an open source member.  Something that you seem
> > not to want to ascribe/aspire to.
>
> I note that over the lifetime of XP I'd have paid more for an RHEL
> license than for an XP license. Linux isn't free if you want support.
----
and if you want support on Microsoft, you have to pay $195 per incident.
Of course, there are a lot of Linux choices other than RHEL.
----
> If you want to sponge, which I am more honest about than most here,
> then it does cost less.
----
sponge? Does using Fedora count as sponging? You have insinuated
improper behavior without explaining your term 'sponge'.

your suggestion that you are more honest than most here is self serving
and insulting to the same 'most' you are referring to.

How to win friends and influence people?  Somehow, I don't think
insulting people is gonna get you far.
----
> Let's just say I got heartily tired of people around here whining about
> their pet features not being part of this distribution. For God's sake
> the ONLY pay most of the developers not on the staff of some large
> company with a Linux stake to sell something OTHER than GNU/Linux get
> is the fun of doing the work and the ego boost from hobby accomplishments
> others applaud. So if a feature you want is not present - be a man and
> put it in. Don't be a whiner. I'm simply trying to explain why I see
> those who whine about this or that missing feature are losers.
----
I fail to see why the need to insult unspecified people and I don't mean
to insult you. I don't agree with probably a single premise you have
expressed in this thread but I do think that you have a right to express
your opinion even if I think it is wrong. I also recognize that I am
unlikely to change your mind - the only time I have noticed that you
changed your mind was when you finally gave up ipchains on 2.4 kernels
and moved over to iptables - and you were one of the last to vocally do
so...that pretty much clued me in to the fact that you are for most
purposes, intransigent.

To the end that some people curse the darkness and some light a candle,
I can agree with you. Most of these people cursing the darkness don't
understand the processes that take us from point A to point B and need
guidance. We all have to evaluate where we fit in.

Craig