gnome login failing repeatedly

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 14 01:34:38 UTC 2006

johannes bauer wrote:
> Since my FC5 installation a few weeks ago I have a curious problem.  The
> machine boots up nicely, I get the blue log-in screen, I type username and
> password, my account comes up, but just when I should be ready to use it,
> the screen goes blank (sometimes displaying some messages for 1/2 a
> second), and the machine jumps back to the blue X-window log-in screen,
> asking me again to log in.  Only after the second, third, fourth, of
> fifth log-in
> try it works, and I then can use my account normally.
>
>  This behavior happens for both of my user accounts and started right
> with my plain-vanilla FC5 installation.  The only non-plain-vanilla
> items are the files that were before in my account (which I copied over
> from a backup disk) as well as some tweaking of which packages shall be
> loaded.
>
>  Thinking that perhaps one of these old files gives this problem, I
> tried to copy only some files over, but I was not able to identify any
> one file that might cause it.  It seems to be a gnome problem with
> .gconf, since the problem appears only when I use Gnome, but not when I
> use KDE.  So I deleted files and once thought I had it narrowed down to
> .gconf/apps/panel/applets, but then the error reappeared even if I start
> with completely fresh directories .gconf and .gnome* (which made it
> necessary for me to individualize the appearance).  So the problem does
> not seem to be a simple old file.  Once I got rid of this problem in one
> account (and I don't know how).  Then I accidentally deleted the .gconf*
> and .gnome* files, and now I am again seeing this problem in this
> account.
>
>  I don't find any error file created in my account.  From dmesg I get
> the following error messages, but I think they are not related to this
> annoying feature:
>
>  audit(1148538077.353:19): avc:  granted  { execmem } for  pid=2488
> comm="nautilus" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
>  audit(1148538077.413:20): avc:  granted  { execmem } for  pid=2488
> comm="nautilus" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
>  audit(1148538097.070:21): avc:  granted  { execstack } for  pid=2636
> comm="metacity" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
>  audit(1148538097.070:22): avc:  granted  { execmem } for  pid=2636
> comm="metacity" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
>  audit(1148538098.955:23): avc:  granted  { execstack } for  pid=2641
> comm="nautilus" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
>
>  I tried also logging in with Gnome Failsafe.  It sometimes gave me a
> warning that the session lasted less than 10s, and the message in
> ~./xsession-errors was:

> [...]

You have a clear description of your problem. Submitting a bug report
with these details may get some response. I can be of little help.

Gnome is more sensitive to network problems than KDE is. It might be
some network address problem and gnome components.
Also I had problems before with metacity using the livna provided
driver. It only killed metacity and did not exit X.

Are you using the xorg-x11 provided driver or the binary?

You might try switching to a virtual terminal and logging in as root.
Once logged in, set selinux to permissive via 'setenforce 0'. Then
switch back to the GUI login console and try to launch GNOME. If it
works, you might need to relabel your SELinux content on your system.
touch ./autorelabel followed by reboot might relabel your system correctly.
You might find errors regarding these errors in the  /var/log/audit
directory and one of the audit.log files.

Jim

--
I told my kids, "Someday, you'll have kids of your own."  One of them said,
"So will you."