No floppy device in FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 14 04:37:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 20:01 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> It's been ages since I've messed with floppies, but I seem to recall that
> traditionally the floppy drive hardware was incapable of alerting the OS
> to the addition or removal of media.

As far as I was aware, pin 34 was a diskchange indicator.  And there's
various ways for the drive to sense media is in the drive (optical
sensors, pin sensors, at least).

Supposedly both floppies and CD/DVD drives have a method of telling the
host about media changes, but it seems like people don't bother to take
advantage of them (doing silly things like periodically trying to spin
the disc to see if one's being inserted, instead).

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.