Pam Keyring Problem

Chris Maiden chris at samatason.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 10:16:25 UTC 2006

Thanks Matthew

> Did you install the previous package as an RPM or with
> configure/make/make install?

./configure
make
make install

> It looks like in the step that links all the compiled object files and
> library references, there's one missing.  Either something is broken in
> the build itsef or you are missing a -devel RPM with a library that is
> needed.  Looking at the site, did you get all of the pam_keyring
> package, the gnome-keyring package, and the gnome-keyring-manager package?

I didn't get them all but I have now - thanks :)

> I wonder why you didn't just install the prebuilt RPMs?  It looks like
> the gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager packages are designed to
> replace the ones that come with FC5. It's a bad idea to replace RPM-ed
> software with non-RPM-ed software unless you seriously know what you are
> doing.  If the developer offers pre-built FC5 RPMs, then you should use
> them.

I didn't know - I just installed apache, php and mysql from src so I
assumed that this was the best way... I don't seriously know what I am
doing so I noted your comment... thanks

> I don't think that's your problem.  There's a pretty good chance that
> your system is now clean of the old package, so I'd try installing the
> RPMs.

Ok I got all the packages (rpm)

I used rpm -Uvh but the replacement gnome-keyring gave an error...

rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         gnome-keyring = 0.4.9 is needed by (installed)
gnome-keyring-devel-0.4.9-1.i386

So I did rpm -Uvh with gnome-keyring-devel-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm

That installed ok and so did
gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0-3.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
and pam_keyring-0.0.8-2.fc5.i386.rpm

I tried
rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm again but it
gave the same error

The instruction on the site to change the password is this...
/usr/libexec/pam-keyring-tool -c
but I just get the error
pam-keyring-tool: error retrieving default keyring

Thanks for your help

Chris