FC4 or FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 17:15:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 10:49 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> > There are people who cannot
> > envision a successful method of writing software, getting paid for the
> > software and then allowing it to be released as open source.
>
> I think part of the problem is that people look at selling software and not
> selling solutions.

Or that people want to buy software...

> Software isn't like cookies -- you really can't sell someone a box, have them
> consume the product, and then sell them another box next week.

Why not?  Someone might buy a product to play recorded music one week,
one to record and edit their own the next, then repeat with video.

> You can sell that person a solution to a business problem, and support it, and
> he will call you back next week to extend it or adapt it to new business
> requirements.

Some people want a janitor service, some want to buy their own own
broom.

> And that is a valid business model that could even be applied to home computer
> users.  "I will set up your computer for you, and create and keep $FREQUENCY
> backups of your data and keep your software updated for $x per month" could
> also be a business model.

That's a business, but not one that software designers are likely
to want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com