What kills Gnome??

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 14 22:01:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:11:17 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:

> 	Check to see how many copies of esd are running on your computer. There
> 	should only be one. Try, in a shell window: "ps -C esd". In order to
> 	get to the shell window you'll have to run another window manager (like
> 	Xfce). This happened to me a litle while ago, and killing the esd
> 	processes ("su -c 'killall esd'" or "su -c 'killall -9 esd'") did the
> 	trick for me. Best of luck!

Does it have to be Xfce?? Running KDE -- with several Gnome apps, btw -- I
get :

[root at localhost btth]# ps -C esd
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
[root at localhost btth]# ps ax | grep esd
 2981 pts/7    R+     0:00 grep esd
[root at localhost btth]# killall esd
esd: no process killed
[root at localhost btth]# killall -9 esd
esd: no process killed
[root at localhost btth]#

I meant to mention at first that I can run KDE with gnome panels,
including several gnome apps.

Meanwhile, I've also done "yum install gth* gtk-*" -- and that didn't fix
it either.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User