Big problem with MYSQL

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 03:24:13 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > On 6/14/06, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> >>     I'm using FC4 and I installed a full mysql and it just will not
> >> work! And I have tried all that the ref manual offers and I think this
> >> problem is just RPM problem. MYSQL works in all ways except this critial
> >> step. It comes up when loading mysqld and it is fine until I want to
> >> show a DB. Then it fails totally!
> >>
> >> Here is an example:
> >>
> >> mysql> GRANT ALL ON test TO PUBLIC;
> >> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
> >> 'test'
> >> mysql>
> >>
> >> This is a problem NOT in the referance manual and I have no idea how to
> >> fix it. The dam problem is just a just a FC4 problem? I don't think so.
> >> I understand SQL well but this just defies understanding.
> >>
> >> Karl Larsen.
> >
> > First step would
> >
> > 1) do the grant tables allow what you want to do? Easy solution would
> > be to move them and start fresh
>     I have no idea what your talking about. What is a grant table? I
> tried the sql grant and it doesn't work as shown. I tried mysqladmin
> with several control letters to no avail.

Yah, sorry about that, I used the wrong terminology.

Okay, I am shooting in the dark here as I have never really had this
problem, so the best I can suggest is a work around.

1) go to /var/lib
2) make a copy of /var/lib/mysql (for backup purpose - just incase)
3) go into /var/lib/mysql
4) and eithe rmove,rename or delete the /var/lib/mysql/mysql folder

That wil remove ALL permission information that mysql uses. So next
time the mysql daemon starts up , all that information will be back to
just the fresh passwordless stuff. From there you can put back in your
mysql user information.

Its a bit crude, but it's the best solution I can think of....your
data should be safe... But that's why I put in step 2, just in case.

--
To be updated...