yum just removed nvidia modules?!

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 04:01:13 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:25 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > In this case, the kernel update comes from Fedora and the video module
> > comes from livna.  There is a known delay in getting the video drivers
> > updated, so an automatic update of the kernel is a problem if you are
> > rebooting frequently and it uses the newer kernel before the driver has
> > been updated.
>
> Got a question for ya, I just got an Athlon 64 3200 machine which I
> installed my i386 FC5 cd's to. I'm lurking and waiting to see if
> everyone agrees that the 64bit install is solid. But, when I try to

64-bit works very well.  Yeah, there are some things where you might
have to work around some things, like Flash and other 32-bit browser
plugins, but most issues are fairly well documented if you don't mind
the one time setup if you really need/want such things.

> install the nVidea module drivers, yum refuses to do so saying it need
> an i686 kernel installed. This is after it dnloads everything and barfs
> and erases the rpms as it shuts down. I haven't gotten as far as getting

Huh?  What exactly are you trying to do?  You have 32-bit FC5
installed, right?  And you are trying to install the 32-bit nVidia
drivers?  It works much better if you are specific.  Actual commands
and error messages are nice.

> the Dvd burner working yet, to burn FC5 / 64. I'm standing in a pool of
> my own ignorance of things 64 bit. Can I go ahead and devel on this
> machine and update/upgrade to 64bit? Or is that done only from a CD

You can in no way, shape, or form, upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.  You
must reinstall.  In theory, it might be possible.  In practice, I have
not tried, but I have seen emails from people who did, and it didn't
go so well.

> install and I best get about it before investing time in re-configuring
> this machine to my personal needs?? Chicken or the Egg? Which DvD burn

You can save config files and migrate them over when you reinstall.
And if you have a separate /home partition (a good thing to have,
because:) you can choose not to format that and thus keep all of your
user files/settings.  That said, if you want to go 64-bit sometime
(before FC6 comes out, at least), I suggest getting and installing
that instead, before you spend time tweaking things.

> application stands the best chance of burning a Fedora Dvd? Or, can yum

k3b is probably the best and easiest if you are unfamiliar with the
process (it's a nice GUI program for CD/DVD buring).  And it's a
pretty good one even if you don't fall into that category.  You might
have to install it.

> handle the procedure? Lotsa questions, sorry. You just seem to have an
> experienced perspective. :) Ric

That's what we are here for.  Ask away.  Though, if you are going to
be asking new questions, it is usually best to start a whole new
thread by sending an email directly to the list rather than replying.
Keeps things more organized for others who come along with the
same/similar questions.

Jonathan