What kills Gnome??

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 15 17:34:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:37:35 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:

> Hi Beartooth,
>
> 	It would seem you don't have esd running. Please understand, I got
> 	GNOME working again by killing running esd processes (from XFCE, which
> 	doesn't use ESD). From within XFCE I opened a terminal window and ran
> 	sol ("Aisle Riot") through strace.

I'm afraid you're way over my head. I'm in XFce now. Comannding sol gets
me what looks like a game of solitaire; I don't know what strace is, much
less how to do anything "through" it ...

>       You also might try adding "ulimit -c
> 	unlimited" to your /etc/profile file (you'll have to use su to get to
> 	the "root" account to edit that file, of course).

I got into it all right, but like any code, it's geek to me. I could c&p
"ulimit -c unlimited" into it -- somewhere -- but since I can't read it, I
have no faintest glimmer *where* to put it; and I'm sure it matters ...

>       Then try running
> 	GNOME again, and see if any "core" files show up in your home
> 	directory, when you go back to the Desktop environment that works (KDE?
> 	fine). OK?

While you're getting to this, I see if there are any visible under KDE
now; I can barely make out the tiny font XFce uses in its idea of a
terminal, and don't know whether this answers the case for it :

[root at localhost btth]# cd /home/btth
[root at localhost btth]# ls -a | grep core
[root at localhost btth]#

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User