MS-XP to internet via Linux -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 15 19:48:50 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> This computer [box1] runs FC-5 and has a wireless connection to the
>> internet via eth0, into a wireless bridge, to a wireless router
>> connected to a satellite receiver/modem.
>>
>> I also can exchange files via Samba on eth1,  with a Windows XP
>> computer [box5] which has no internet connection other than a
>> conventional modem which is now useless since I terminated my service
>> with AT&T Worldnet.  I don't often use the XP computer but I would
>> like to be able to update applications and sync the clock
>> occasionally.  I would like to connect it  to my ISP through this
>> computer to avoid buying yet another wireless adapter.
>>
>> I haven't had much luck "googling" but probably am not inputing the
>> right keywords.   Most of what I found was about connecting Linux via
>> a Windows box. Can anyone suggest where to look for
>> information/instructions on connecting an XP system via Linux?
>
> I'd set up the Linux box as a router/firewall using shorewall (which
> is in Extras).
>
> Here's a HOWTO:
> http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm
>
> Paul.

After looking at the shorewall diagrams I wonder if I could not
reconfigure my system.  Presently I have a Linksys WET54G wireless
bridge feeding this computer[box1] via eth0 and an old Linksys EZXS55W
5-port ethernet switch connected to eth1 and some other computers
including the XP computer [box5].

What if I move the switch between the wireless bridge and this computer
[box1, eth0]. It seems I should be able to tie the XP box5 into one of
the four remaining ethernet ports on the switch and get both a route to
the internet and between boxes via Samba.  Before embarking on that
effort I would like more knowledgeable comment however.  I'm probably
getting in over my head but I usually manage to muddle through such
things eventually if they can be done.

I have been using Firestarter to setup the firewall for some time but
could probably manage with Shorewall if necessary.

Any comment appreciated.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia