yum update -y question

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 16 02:42:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 09:25 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Dear all,
> If I do: yum update -y, will it install updated kernel correctly?
> Because I thought if we want to update kernel, we should use: yum install
> kernel and not yum update kernel.

Yes, "yum update" will install a new version of the kernel for your
architecture, if appropriate.  The existing version of your kernel will
be left alone and available for selection in the grub boot menu.

I personally don't use the yum -y option; I prefer to know what yum
intends to do before it goes and does it.

Jay