LVM magic in initrd, or "making an initrd without modules"

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Jun 16 08:22:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 09:08 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > In short, loading modules isn't the only reason for using an initrd, but
> > mkinitrd acts as if it is.
>
> Does the --builtin=module option to mkinitrd not do that?

If it had been complaining about certain modules missing I could have
used this option to tell it to ignore those. But it just says:

No modules available for kernel "2.6.16-nomod".

and stops. The kernel file is called vmlinuz-2.6.16-nomod. For some
reason it called itself (uname -r) "2.6.16-1.2122_FC5.rootkdumpnomod",
but using that gives the same error.

Cheers
Steffen.