Access Denied

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 11:07:34 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 13:36 +0100, Simon Andrews wrote:
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

>> To create a database from the command line use mysqladmin instead.
>>
>> mysqladmin -u root -p create kaushal
>>
> And this differs from his command line above HOW?????

By a little > at the start of the line :-)

[Reminds self to read better next time, I mixed up his first and second
examples]

Looking again at the original post that does seem odd.  A few things to
check:

1) From the mysql command line can you check that a database with that
name doesn't already exist (this should produce a different error though)

2) From the mysql command line as root can you create the database?

3) Run the following query against the mysql database

select Host, User, Create_priv FROM user WHERE User='root';

You should see something like:
| Host                    | User | Create_priv |
| localhost               | root | Y           |

Does your local root user have create privileges?

Hopefully a bit more help this time...

Simon.