MS-XP to internet via Linux -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 16 14:19:24 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 15:48 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>>
>>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> What if I move the switch between the wireless bridge and this computer
>> [box1, eth0]. It seems I should be able to tie the XP box5 into one of
>> the four remaining ethernet ports on the switch and get both a route to
>> the internet and between boxes via Samba.  Before embarking on that
>> effort I would like more knowledgeable comment however.  I'm probably
>> getting in over my head but I usually manage to muddle through such
>> things eventually if they can be done.
>>

> You could do that and it would probably work. I personally prefer to
> have my Windows boxes behind a Linux firewall, which is why I go for the
> two-interface approach.
>

>> I have been using Firestarter to setup the firewall for some time but
>> could probably manage with Shorewall if necessary.
>>

> I can't compare the two really; I've never used Firestarter but am very
> happy with Shorewall.
>
> Paul.

Ok, I moved the switch so that it is between the wireless bridge and
this FC5 Linux computer and connected the Dell Windows XP computer to
one of the Ethernet ports on the switch and now both computers connect
to the internet with a little tweaking of the XP unit.

As you said, the XP box, has only the included "Windows Firewall" and
the Norton AV but I was able to update them immediately and sync the
clock too.  The XP computer is usually turned off anyway which minimizes
its exposure.

And oh yes, I think I now have Mozilla Thunderbird set up to preclude
the likelihood of html  to this list.  I normally tell it plain text only to
redhat.com but I also BCC myself [html ok] which triggers the option of
html when  I send and at 04:00 I'm not too sharp and make mistakes.  I
think I have it set to send plain text only to wildblue.net now in
addition to the list.  I will see how that works when I send this.

Thanks for the help.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia