System date resetting when rebooting (FC4)

Stéphane Bruno sbruno at rddh.org.ht
Fri Jun 16 20:43:56 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>Stéphane Bruno wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I installed FC4 on several Dell PowerEdge servers (PowerEdge 850, SC420,
>>etc.), but I notice that every time I reboot the server, the system date
>>is changed. The system cannot retain the current date. I did not choose
>>the option 'My System clock uses UTC' when installing Fedora. I have no
>>idea whether the system clock uses it or not. Is that the problem ? And
>>how to fix this date problem?
>>
>>I cannot observe any pattern on the way the date is changed.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Stéphane
>>

>The hardware clock is read when the system boots, and updated when
>the system shuts down. So unless you set the hardware clock
>elsewhere, a wrong setting of 'My System clock uses UTC' will not
>cause random data changes.
>
>What date values are you seeing? It may be you have a hardware
>problem with the hardware clock.

Usually the date is correct but the time isn't. For example, today it
was showing Fri 6 Jun 05:00:14 EST 2006 while the correct time was
10:00. It cannot be a hardware problem unless it is common to all Dell
PowerEdge servers (it does it on three Dell PowerEdge servers I have,
two towers and 1 rack-mount PowerEdge 850).

Stéphane